Fitting Your Dog
How to Measure Your Dog for the Perfect Coat
Our dog coats are not custom fit but we still need your dog's measurements to ensure you get the best fitting coat for your dog. Just jot down a few simple measurements and send them to us. We'll follow up with you within 24 hours to confirm all the details
To ensure you get the best fitting coat we need you to jot down 3 simple measurements. Then look at the chart below to see which size you need.
Make sure you use a soft, tailor’s measuring tape to measure your dog. If you don’t have a soft measuring tape, use a thick rope to take the measurements and then mark that against a ruler. Do not use a hard straight ruler or carpenters tape to measure your dog as this will give you an inaccurate measurement.
Step One - Measure the Back Length
This is the most important measurement that you take because of the unique fit of our coats which allows for flexibility around the chest and neck.
- Measure from the base of the neck (just in front of the shoulder blades) to the base of tail. Do not measure from where the collar sits.
- When measuring the back length, your dog must be standing straight with his or her head up and looking forward. If your dog is lying down or sitting, their back length will be longer than their actual length. If your dog is turning to see what you are doing it will also throw off the measurement.
Step Two – Measure the Chest Girth
- Measure around your dog’s chest just behind their front legs and in front of where the waist starts.
- Place two fingers flat under the measuring tape to give some room for flexibility.
Step Three – Measure the Neck Measurement
- Measure around your dog’s neck where the collar normally sits.
- Again, place two fingers flat under the measuring tape while doing this to get a comfortable size.
That’s it! Now refer to our Coat Size Chart below to determine the best size for your dog based on your measurements. If you are not quite sure, or if your dog’s measurements fall in between different sizes, it is always best to go up to the bigger size. You can also make a note in your order about your dog’s measurements if there is a big variance and you feel you need a custom coat.
Don't Know the Measurements? Use the Dog Coat Sizing Chart
Maybe you're thinking of buying a dog coat as a present, or for a dog that has yet to arrive. If you don't know the size of the dog check out the Breed Guideline Chart below. This chart is also a guideline for how our sizes and pricing works.
Please note, these are average dog sizes and we cannot guarantee the fit to the dog using this chart. However, if the fit isn't right you can always return the unused for a credit towards another coat.
Measuring Your Dog for the Perfect Harness Fit
Our ergonomic harness are built to have the least amount of pressure on the stress points of your dog's body. The measurement of three points on the the dog's body help to ensure the best fit. The harnesses also have adjustable clips so there is always some wiggle room.
Just jot down a few simple measurements and send them to us. We'll follow up with you within 24 hours to confirm all the details.
See the chart below for instructions on how to measure your dog for their harness, or download the HarnessMeasuring chart to print.
If you don't know the size of the dog check out the Breed Guideline Chart below. This chart is also a guideline for how our sizes and pricing works.